The Deaconess Ministry is called the assistant to the Deacon’s Ministry. She is to perform certain duties which Deacons are unable to perform.
The Deaconess Ministry of the Rehoboth Baptist Church is to assist in the spiritual matters of the church whenever called by the Pastor or Deacon Ministry. This is especially true when a task should be done by a Christian female.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Prepare the communion elements and take care of the communion tableware
• Prepare the female candidates in dressing for baptism and redressing immediately after baptism
• Follow up with new converts
• Provide counseling for young women of the church/community that may have personal problems
• Assist in comforting those in mourning and/or distress
• Visit the sick, deprived and destitute
The New Testament records the presence of women workers in churches. Paul wrote to the church at Philippi: “And I urge you also, true companion, help these women who labored with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the Book of Life (Philippians 4:3).
In the letter to the Romans, Paul wrote: “I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deaconess of the church at Cenchrea, that you may receive her in a manner worthy of the saints, and assist her in whatever business she has need of you; for indeed she has been a helper of man and of myself also (Romans 16:21-2).